Screen Scotland is offering fully funded bursaries, travel and accommodation for up to 5 film and TV producers based in Scotland, working with Gaelic and Scots language content, to attend Glocal Meets Scotland at the San Sebastian International Film Festival in Spain, between 22 - 25 September 2019.
About Glocal Meets Scotland
San Sebastian International Film Festival (SSIFF) is on during the third week of September in the Spanish city of Donostia-San Sebastián in the Basque Country. Glocal in Progress, one of the festival’s industry strands, runs 22 - 25 September.
The strand aims to highlight the diversity of European cinema by lending greater visibility to European productions in non-hegemonic languages (those not filmed in English, German, Spanish, French, Italian or Russian), to foster collaborations and to promote co-production.
This year they will be running a Glocal Meets Scotland sub-section, inviting five Scottish-based producers, who make film or TV in Gaelic or Scots languages, to attend their industry programme. This opportunity for connection will involve meetings, presentations, round-tables and networking events between producers, distributors, sales agents and programmers. There is a 2.5-day programme of events, which includes:
Monday 23 September
A session on Scottish projects and opportunities will take place, with one Scottish producer being given the opportunity to present a case study of one of their own films or TV series.
Tuesday 24 September
On Tuesday there will be a co-production meeting, with other producers who are working in non-hegemonic languages and have an interest in Scottish co-productions. There will also be a networking lunch.
What does the bursary include?
Screen Scotland, in collaboration with SSIFF, is offering bursary support for up to five applicants, and this will cover:
- SSIFF accreditation
- Economy return travel to and from Scotland
- 3 nights’ accommodation
- Airport transfers
- Subsistence (up to £30 per day)
- Access costs (if required)
- Childcare (if required)
Who can apply?
The opportunity is open to film and TV producers based in Scotland, with a track record in film or TV production in Gaelic or Scots languages. You must be available for the Glocal Meets Scotland dates (22 - 25 September 2019), including the time needed to travel from Scotland to San Sebastian.
Please note – students are not eligible to apply.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Wednesday 4 September 2019.
How to Apply
Anyone interested in attending this trip must provide the following information:
- A short biography, including relevant experience and credits (250 words max)
- Statement detailing your interest in attending San Sebastian Film Festival’s Glocal and why it would be useful to you at this point in your career (350 words max)
- An example of work in Gaelic or Scots languages that you have produced which could be the focus of a case study at the festival (350 words max)
- Your estimated, itemised participation costs for the duration of the trip. These should include all your return travel costs, accommodation and subsistence. Please also include any additional costs to support childcare or other access needs.
Please Note: The event organisers will cover the cost of accreditation, San Sebastián airport transfers and networking lunch on Tuesday 24 September.
Please send this information by email, including a contact phone number, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Wednesday 4 September 2019, with ‘San Sebastian Glocal’ in the subject line.
Successful applicants will be informed by 12 noon on Friday 6 September.