Screen Scotland is offering fully funded bursaries, travel and accommodation for up to 3 writers or directors based in Scotland to attend the Stowe Story Labs (Vermont, USA) Fall Narrative Lab, taking place between 7 – 10 September 2019.
About Stowe Story Labs
Stowe Story Labs are a non-profit organisation which bring emerging screenwriters, filmmakers and creative producers from around the world together with seasoned industry professionals to help get projects made and seen. Their Autumn lab is running from 7 – 10 September 2019 in the Helen Day Art Center in the heart of Stowe village, Vermont, United States.
The four-day intensive program features:
- Skills development and focus on story structure, character and theme; conversation about story; packaging; elements of creative production; casting; adaptation; and finance and distribution
- Direct access to working industry professionals at the top in their fields
- Opportunities to build knowledge, skills and insights to navigate the screen industry
- A network of talented peers, vital in this collaborative art and business
- Workshop, roundtable and social time
- A beautiful setting to develop your craft
Participants do not need a polished script, but should have a fantastic story idea, demonstrable talent and a commitment to learning skills necessary to get work made and seen. Script notes are not offered on each project at the Lab, but instead a focus on story structure, theme, character and genre. A typical 4-day agenda, based on previous iterations, can be found here.
What does the bursary include?
Screen Scotland is offering bursary support for up to three applicants, and this will cover:
- The cost of registration for Stowe Story Labs Autumn/Fall Narrative Lab 2019
- Economy return air travel from Scotland
- Accommodation for the duration of the Lab
- Ground transport whilst in the USA
- ESTA visa
- Access costs (if required)
- Most meals are covered by the Lab organisers, but additional subsistence of up to £20 per day is also available.
Who can apply?
The opportunity is open to writers or directors based in Scotland, and with a specific film or TV project that is at script development stage. You must be available for the dates of the Lab (7-10 September 2019) – including the time needed to travel to and from Scotland to North America.
We will prioritise applications from those who are under-represented in our current funding programmes. Current evidence indicates that these under-represented people are those who self-identify as disabled, those who come from Black and Minority Ethnic cultural backgrounds, and those who are women or other gender non-conforming identities. There have been a number of gender-focussed studies that indicate a particular under-representation of women in areas of Directing, Camera, Post-Production and VFX.
Please see Creative Scotland’s Equality Matters and Equalities, Diversity and Inclusion in the Screen Sector for further information.
Please note – students are not eligible to apply.
The deadline to apply is 3pm on Thursday 29 August 2019.
How to apply
Anyone interested in attending this trip must provide the following information:
- A short biography, including relevant experience and credits (250 words max)
- Details of your script project, including: title, genre, film/TV, logline (45 words max) and short synopsis (150 words max)
- Statement on why you are writing/developing this script idea and why you want to see it made into film or TV (350 words max)
- Statement detailing your interest in attending Stowe Story Labs and why it would be useful to you at this point in your career (350 words max)
- Information on any other Screen Scotland support you have previously been, or are currently, in receipt of (e.g. SFTN, Bellrock, film or broadcast development funding)
- Your estimated, itemised participation costs for the duration of the trip. These should include all your travel costs from Scotland, subsistence and potential ESTA visa costs. Please also include any additional costs to support childcare or other access needs.
- Please Note: Screen Scotland will pay the registration fee and accommodation cost directly to Stowe Story Labs, which also covers ground transportation in the US, so these costs do not need to be included in your estimates.
Please send this information by email, including a contact phone number, to email@example.com by 3pm on Thursday 29 August 2019, with ‘Stowe Story Lab bursary application’ in the subject line.
Successful applicants will be informed by 5pm on Friday 30 August, and will be asked to consent to a privacy agreement allowing Screen Scotland to share your contact information with Stowe Story Labs. You will subsequently be contacted by a Stowe Story Lab representative to request further materials, such as a copy of your script/treatment/story, and to confirm accommodation and schedule details.