What is the purpose of the Distribution Fund?
This fund was previously called the Distribution and Exhibition Fund. The revised Distribution Fund supports the distribution of Scottish feature films with the potential to have a strong cultural impact within Scotland. It will enable distributors of Scottish features to reach as wide and diverse a domestic audience as possible. We will also support producers to self-release a title in the situation where there is demonstrable interest, demand and relevance amongst Scottish audiences, but a film has not been successful in securing a distributor.
Applicants must demonstrate how they will extend the theatrical release of films within Scotland and deepen engagement with Scottish audiences.
Please note, by ‘Scottish films’ we mean those films where the writing, directing and/or producing talent is based in Scotland.
What are the priorities for this fund?
- Connecting Scottish audiences with Scottish film.
- Reaching audiences, outwith core cultural cinema attenders, who have barriers to accessing cultural film, are declining or under-represented in cultural cinema audiences.
- Supporting activities that specifically address barriers to participation and engagement.
- Supporting activities that are designed in collaboration with target audiences and/or relevant partners who represent audiences’ interests and concerns.
- Projects that have a distributor and financing in place for a UK wide distribution plan and funding is being sought to augment the distribution strategy and outreach activity in Scotland.
Who can apply?
- Existing UK distributors with a track record of releasing films theatrically within the UK. It is a requirement to submit the distribution agreement for the film for approval as part of your application.
- Film production companies based in Scotland planning to self-distribute a film produced by the company. Producers should be able to demonstrate attempts to secure UK distribution with a distributor and give insights as to why this has not been successful.
In both cases, you must be able to demonstrate market interest in the film, ideally through a successful festival release and/or letters of intent from exhibitors for booking the film.
How much can I apply for?
Awards are likely to be in the range of £5,000 – £15,000.
We expect applications to include other financing, for example (but not limited to): other public funding, private funders/sponsorship, partnership support (this can include in-kind support), box office income and/or distributors own funds
In exceptional circumstances we will consider awards in excess of £15,000. This should be discussed with us prior to making an application.
This fund awards recoupable grants. These are recouped in full or part in the event that the project makes a profit. Details of this can be found in the Fund’s guideline document.
When can I apply?
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. There are no deadlines, however applicants are strongly advised to contact us at [email protected] as early as possible when considering an application to the fund.
Applications must be made at least 12 weeks before a film’s intended release date. If your activity is due to take place within the 12 week window, please contact us at [email protected] before applying.
How to apply
Applicants are strongly advised to email us at [email protected] as early as possible when considering an application to the fund.
Applications must be made on the Distribution Fund Application Form which is available to download below.
Please ensure that you read our Distribution Fund Application Guidance document before submitting your application.
Completed forms should be submitted along with all supporting materials to [email protected]
Download the Distribution Fund Application Guidance (PDF, opens in a new window)
Download the Distribution Fund Application Form (Word, opens in a new window)
Download the Distribution Fund End of Project Monitoring Form (Word, opens in a new window)
View the Privacy Notice
Large Print: Download the Distribution Fund Application Guidance (PDF, opens in a new window)
Plain Text: Download the Distribution Fund Application Guidance (PDF, opens in a new window)