The Film Festival and Screening Programme Fund aims to support organisations who produce film festivals and screening programmes that increase the reach, depth, and diversity of screen culture for audiences in Scotland. The Fund will enable organisations to do this in a viable, sustainable, representative, and high-quality fashion with meaningful impacts and the involvement of the communities they reach.
The Fund will:
- Fund festival and screening activity that is distinctive, high-quality, and valued by the communities it reaches
- Increase the reach of and access to festivals for under-represented communities, both geographic and demographic
- Support organisations to develop in a viable, sustainable fashion
In this video, Katharine Simpson, our Audience Development Officer, provides further details about the Film Festival and Screening Programme Fund, what the Fund aims to achieve, and what you should consider before applying.
This fund was previously called the Film Festivals Fund. In April 2022 we relaunched the fund with the following changes:
- This fund has new priorities, including supporting screening programmes
- We are piloting the BFI Diversity Standards – Screen Scotland and all applicants to this fund now need to also evidence the work they are doing to diversify their actiivity
- To allow for these changes, we’ve moved to a 12 week decision-making timescale and with applications required at least 5 months before public activity takes place.
- The fund will remain open until either all of the £600k budget is allocated, or by the final closing date for 2022 – which is Tuesday 29 November, 2022
What is the budget for this fund?
The total budget for this fund is £600,000.
Who can apply?
This fund is open to new and existing organisations based in Scotland and producing film festivals and screening programmes. All in-person screenings must be presented to audiences in Scotland
New film festivals are strongly encouraged to discuss their plans with us in advance of an application being made. Please contact a member of the Screen Scotland Team by emailing [email protected].
Publication of fund guidance and application process open for submission: Wednesday 6 April 2022
Timescale for decision: 12 weeks from submission of full and complete application form
Fund closes for applications: Tuesday 29 November 2022 or when the fund is fully allocated, whichever is sooner
Activity must take place by: This fund will only support activity which takes place before 1 April 2023
For applications received on or before Monday 23 May 2022, it is recommended that you apply at least 5 months before your public facing activity.
For applications received after Monday 23 May 2022, it is required that you apply at least 5 months before your public facing activity.
The BFI Diversity Standards - Screen Scotland Pilot
We have adopted the BFI Diversity Standards, initially as a one year pilot, to encourage a more representative and inclusive Scottish film industry.
During this pilot, the Diversity Standards are a part of the eligibility criteria for all applications to our Film Festival and Screening Programme Fund from 1 April 2022.
For further details about the Diversity Standards and to download the full guidance document, please visit our BFI Diversity Standards - Screen Scotland Pilot page.
To ensure your application meets the eligibility criteria, please read the BFI Diversity Standards guidelines before you complete the Film Development and Production Fund application form.
How to apply
There are now two separate steps to follow for applications to our Film Festival and Screening Programme Fund.
- STEP 1: Fill in questions related to your project within the BFI Diversity Standards – Screen Scotland on BFI portal
- STEP 2: Once you have completed STEP 1, you can submit the Screen Scotland application form for Film Festival and Screening Programme Fund which is available to download below. You don’t need to wait for the BFI response to your submission to apply to Screen Scotland – but you do need to apply to the BFI first.
More information about applying can be found on page 10 of the guidance document which is available to download from the BFI Diversity Standards - Screen Scotland Pilot webpage.
After applying to the BFI, please ensure you have read the guidelines and Funding Privacy Notice fully before you complete the the Film Festival and Screening Programme Fund application form.
View the Privacy Notice
*Please note, that although the Risk Assessment form says 20/21, it is still relevant for 2022
Gaelic version: Download the Film Festival and Screening Programme Fund Guidance (PDF, opens in a new window)
Plain text version: Download the Film Festival and Screening Programme Fund Guidance (PDF, opens in a new window)
BSL version: https://vimeo.com/723401712
If you have any further questions about this fund, please contact our Enquiries Service. You can do this by email, through our website or social media.